CPCS A04c Pedestrian Operated Tower Crane
The CPCS A04 Tower Crane course aims to provide the candidate with a thorough practical and theory training in operating a Mobile Crane in order to to enable the candidate to pass the CPCS Theory and Practical Tests.
CPCS A04 Tower Crane Course Content
Through a combination of targeted training and experience, an individual with the mobile crane will be able to:
- Describe the nature of the sector of industry and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator.
- Name and explain the purpose of principal components, the basic construction, controls and terminology.
- Confirm with manufacturer’s requirements as per the operator’s handbook, other types of information source and relevant regulations and legislation.
- Explain all relevant documentation.
- Undertake all pre – use checks.
- Configure and set for travel (site and highway).
- Travel the crane to an area of work.
- Maneuver in confined spaces.
- Configure the crane for lifting duties
- Deploy outriggers to specification (where applicable).
- Explain action required for hazards, underground and overhead services.
- Program/set – up Rated Capacity Indicators for lifting duties.
- Lift various loads using the full radius and slewing capabilities of the loader crane.
- Accurately place loads.
- Change the falls of rope on a hook block.
- Minimize the swinging of loads.
- Move loads through machine travel (where applicable).
- Maintain safe working situations.
- Comply with signals and instructions.
- Explain rigging and de – rigging procedures when fitting fly jibs or boom extensions.
- Dismantle the crane in preparation of movement.
- Carry out shut down and securing procedures.
CPCS A04 Tower Crane Course Requirement
All visitors must report to reception on arrival and follow site safety rules at all times.
There are no catering facilities on site, so delegates need to provide their own lunch. There are tea and coffee facilities available.
Candidates must bring and wear their PPE on site for plant testing. They must also bring signature and photographic identification as required for all testing.
The CPCS Theory test is recorded digitally by the tester to ensure adherence with CPCS Standards. The CPCS Practical test may be recorded using a Video recorder if the CPCS request it.
CPCS A04 Tower Crane Course Examination Board
The Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) is recognised by the UK Contractors Group (UKCG) and Major Home Builders Group (MHBG) as the preferred card to comply with codes of practice for competence and certification. It was launched in 2003 to help them comply with regulations and requirements and aims to apply common standards for all plant operators.
CPCS is owned by the Construction Industry Training Board (otherwise known as CITB).
For more information visit their website at www.citb.co.uk.
CPCS A04 Tower Crane Course Assessment
To achieve the Red CPCS Trained Operator Card candidates must pass both the CPCS Theory Test and the Practical Test.
These tests can be viewed online by clicking here.
CPCS A04 Tower Crane Course Refresher / Re-qualification Information
Once you have achieved your Red CPCS Trained Operator Card it lasts for 2 years.
During these 2 years you must work towards and achieve your NVQ in Plant Operations to upgrade to a Blue CPCS Competence Card.