|Course Aims: ||To provide thorough practical and theory training in the role of a Plant and Vehicle Marshaller, enabling the candidate to pass the CPCS Theory and Practical Tests.|
- Explain the duties role and responsibilities and any limitations, including the procedures when capabilities are exceeded, of those marshalling or guiding the movement of plant and vehicles in a variety of situations or locations.
- Outline the hierarchy of control measures for plant and vehicle movement, and the requirements of a work management traffic plan.
- Outline the legislative requirements and procedures relating to plant and vehicles accessing or egressing for the public highway, and the effects on other road users.
- Explain types, attributes, limitations, hazards, and stability factors on a range of typical plant and work-related vehicles relevant to the occupational area or sector.
- Explain the requirements of and types, functionality, advantages and limitations of a range of driver visibility aids for a range of occupationally relevant plant and vehicles.
- Explain how ground conditions and features, proximity hazards and weight limits can affect the operations of plant and vehicles for different access points and work areas.
- Explain the importance and locations of positions of safety for a marshaller and other personnel.
- Describe and use different types of communication methods for receiving and communicating vehicle and plant movements.
- Communicate vehicle and plant movement information to drivers/operators and others involved with related operations, including when plant or vehicles must stop.
- Explain the procedures to be followed if given information is insufficient and/or there is deviation for the given safe system of work.
- Access and confirm that the area for plant and vehicles movement remains suitable for maneuvering activities, exclusion zones are maintained and contains suitable locations to undertake marshalling duties.
- Select appropriate sector-specific PPE and resources suitable for marshalling duites.
- Guide and assist the movement of and position at given exact locations, a range of typical plant and vehicles using the approved code of signals.
- Guide and assist plant and vehicles into and from restricted areas using forward and reverse motions using the approved code of signals.
- Guide and assist the movement of plant to support the duties being carried out by a plant operator.
- Ensure the maneuvering area is kept and left safe during operations, and following the departure of plant and vehicles
|Course Requirement||All visitors must report to reception on arrival and follow site safety rules at all times.|
There are no catering facilities on site, so delegates need to provide their own lunch. There are tea and coffee facilities available.
Candidates must bring and wear their PPE on site for plant testing. They must also bring signature and photographic identification as required for all testing.
The CPCS Theory test is recorded digitally by the tester to ensure adherence with CPCS Standards. The CPCS Practical test may be recorded using a Video recorder if the CPCS request it.
|Examination Board||The Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) is recognised by the UK Contractors Group (UKCG) and Major Home Builders Group (MHBG) as the preferred card to comply with codes of practice for competence and certification. It was launched in 2003 to help them comply with regulations and requirements and aims to apply common standards for all plant operators.|
CPCS is owned by the Construction Industry Training Board (otherwise known as CITB).
For more information visit their website at www.citb.co.uk.
|Assessment||To achieve the Red CPCS Trained Operator Card candidates must pass both the CPCS Theory Test and the Practical Test.|
These tests can be viewed online by clicking here.
|Refresher / Re-qualification Information||Once you have achieved your Red CPCS Trained Operator Card it lasts for 2 years.|
During these 2 years you must work towards and achieve your NVQ in Plant Operations to upgrade to a Blue CPCS Competence Card.
Total Construction Training may be able to offer you funding towards this NVQ.